Thursday, April 20, 2006

Auschwitz Diet: Week 2

As I mentioned last week, I am doing an experiment where I try to limit my daily caloric intake to 500-600. This value is in the range that is estimated to have been provided to Holocaust victims by their Nazi captors. Per the load scale on our docks at work, Wednesday's weight was 174. The results, to date, are as follows:



Initial WeightFinal Weight

Net

Week 1185 lbs177 lbs-8 lbs
Week 2177 lbs174 lbs-3 lbs
Total

-11 lbs

The difference in weight loss between weeks is significantly different and can be attributed to several factors. I went on vacation from 4-20 to 4-23 and dietary naughtiness occurred. While on vacation, I did restrict myself to one meal per day but I wasn't able to determine the caloric value of the meals, since I didn't eat at Subway. This was due to the fact that the people I was with wisely declined participating in my experiement. I also believe that water weight is becoming an issue. For several years, I have consumed between 4-6 24oz bottles of water daily. Although I drink as much water as ever, I have noticed that I don't part with it as often.

I also expect that my body has become more efficient at absorbing and using calories, which partially explains why starvation diets frequently fail as a weight loss method. When I was shoveling in 3000+ calories/day, it made little difference if 500 calories went through the digestive process unused. Now, I expect that every morsel of organic material that enters my system is entirely stripped of its nutritional and caloric content.

Several people have said that I'm killing myself. I don't buy it. I feel better than I have in the last 5 years. Before I tried this, it was very common for me to be completely exhausted at the end of a workday. I would have trouble thinking clearly and would often want to sleep as soon as I got home. Now, I have markedly more energy and can get by on much less sleep. I know that my current caloric intake isn't sustainable but I'm not convinced that 2000 calories is necessary either. Regardless, as I'm not at 170lbs yet, I will continue for another week.

6 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger acw said...

So, you're going for 170 with your clothes on? Or have you been weighing yourself on the load scale naked?

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Antonio said...

I wish I had your willpower. I'm still trying to drop 10 more pounds off my body. They say your body will work to preserve itself when the amount of food is severely reduced.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger doggerelblogger said...

If you decide to become a weight loss guru, you're going to have trouble marketing this diet - you know that, right?

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have back dimples yet?

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Dr. Zombie said...

Not to get all serious - but I read an article a year or so ago about a group that believes that an extremely low calorie diet is actually beneficial healthwise.

A quick google search turned up: http://www.calorierestriction.org/

They and the AMA (believe it or not) have done studies that show that extremely low caloric diets may in fact add longevity to human life spans.

Just thought it was interesting.

Now - to stop being so serious - I bet it probably hurts to poop, huh?

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger tfg said...

hink-I can't forward the props until I receive payment for the load of crotchless lederhosen.

ACW-I hadn't even thought about that. I'll bet the Ben Wa balls are skewing the results.

anotonio-It's not that hard. The increase in energy makes it worth it.

doggerelblogger-Yeah, the name is kind of a dealbreaker.

fool-What are back dimples? If they are anything like butt pimples then the answer would be yes.

dr.zombie-I will check out that link. So far, I'm a believer. The only excretory difference that I've noticed is the frequency. Besides, excreting gold bullion didn't feel that good in the first place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home