Sunday, May 07, 2006

Utter Filthiness Documented

If you have read any of my anti-corporate rants/posts, you may think that I'm a pinko-commie-liberal-hippy-Jerry loving-tree hugging-dope smoking-tinfoil hat wearing-conspiracy theorist. Although you might be correct, I strongly urge you to read Hostile Takeover by David Sirota. It is a non-partisan discussion of how corporations have used the campaign finance process to entirely circumvent democracy. The book is extremely well documented and Sirota doesn't appear to have any political axe grind, as he lambasts both Republicans and Democrats. Sirota covers the subjects of taxes, wage stagnation, NAFTA (eebmore really needs to read this chapter), energy pricing, and the erosion of legal protections for the public.

Honestly, I felt that I may have been too cynical in my opinions on some of these issues. However, after reading the first half of the book, it appears that I underestimated the severity of the problem. My only issue with the book is Sirota's optimism for the future. A quick scan of the last chapter indicates that this optimism is based on the intelligence of the American public, which I feel is a wasting asset. Unless our teevees tell us that corporations are raping us and do so in an entertaining manner (perhaps a reality show about dumpster diving at Walmart), I believe that things are going to get much worse.

8 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Blogger Cham said...

Eureka! He gets it. A gold star for tfg!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger * said...

Tell me more about this Walmart-dumpster-diving reality show... sounds like a great idea...

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Broadsheet said...

Wow - way to cheer yourself up. But look who's talking. I read books on the state of our nation's healthcare system for fun. I'm quite the conversation killer at dinner parties.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Broadsheet said...

You're not the only one who loved the book:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/5/8/125551/5662

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger tfg said...

cham-Thanks. I get it, allright and I think we're all not to far away from getting it.

chunky monky-That was just one idea. Another TV show concept would be have elderly retirees fight each other to recieve their pension.

broadsheet-Yeah, it's fairly maddening stuff, but it's better than not knowing. Thanks for the link, too.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Cham said...

As long as the entire bunch of us doesn't make any trouble for our elected officials, absolutely nothing is going to change. Sooner or later someb will need to start throwing rocks.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger 0000 said...

The older I get the more I realize how dumb the general public is.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Way to support my non fiction book buying habit!

Oh, and check out American Mania by Dr. Peter C. Whybrow. Discusses the manic consumerism of the American public, with a nice discussion on stupid reality Teevee.....Opiate of the masses....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home