Thursday, December 22, 2005

Northwest Airlines Knows How to Hook a Brother Up

If you have spent any amount of time reading this blog, you know that I don't have a lot of luck in airports. This is why I was not in the least bit surprised to see that the Northwest flight I was scheduled to take this afternoon was delayed by two hours. Of course, this meant that I would miss my connecting flight and would probably be stuck in Detroit overnight. And nobody wants to be stuck in Detroit overnight.

Now here is were Delta Airlines could learn a few things. I called the Northwest's 800 reservation number and actually got an American customer service representative. I told her my sad story and expected to hear the usual crap about not being able to do anything for me and that I should go see the gate agent. Instead, she tells me that she can get me to my final destination with a flight that goes to their Memphis hub leaving in 40 minutes. I agree, she made the change, and I went to the new gate to receive new boarding passes/seat assignments. I repeat the above story for the gate agent expecting to hear that I was on standby (i.e. not boarding). Instead, she handed me a set of new tickets with the seat assignment: 1A. "Tits!," I think to myself because she upgraded me to first class. I boarded the plane and half expected it to explode, because, as I mentioned before, I don't have this kind of luck at airports.

As I am sitting in my seat, I began to notice that we are not actually doing any flying. This was problematic because there was only 25 minutes between the scheduled arrival of the flight and the departure of my connection. Now I'm thinking I'll be stranded in Memphis overnight. The stewardess announces that they are overbooked and offers a $300 voucher to anyone willing to give up their seat. "Super Tits!," I think to myself and take the deal. I am reticketed to fly 1st class tomorrow.

Of course, I did go to the airport, with valid airplane tickets, and didn't get to fly anywhere. But, since this is fairly typical for me and I'm $300 dollars up, I'm going have to call this a win.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, LOVE the blog!

as for flying domestic, i've learned two things in the US. always fly carry-on (no checked luggage), and never take a flight after 12 noon. seriously. the FAA has flight timeliness statistics for the major airports posted online, and it shows that a crazy amount of flights get screwed up as the day goes on.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger NPR Junky said...

I agree with the dude above, but have to say this:

NEVER EVER EVER fly Northwest again. I fly alot for my job, and on my way back from Anchorage two weeks ago, my Northwest flight RAN OUT OF GAS IN THE AIR. We were lucky, becuase we were just outside of Duluth, MN and as we were just about to touch down...we almost hit a deer on the runway.

So the moral of the story is, Northwest is the DEVIL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home