Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Can We Screw You Now?

Aside from the major oil companies, if there was ever a corporation that was in need of some good old fashioned trust-busting, it is Verizon. Their stranglehold on the cellular phone market is evident in their predatory practices and piss-poor customer service. In my opinion, the only reason for using them is the quality of their coverage, particularly in rural areas, which I occasionally find myself in. I will spare you the details of the 6 month war I fought, after using their Sleazy-Move feature and getting involuntarily/illegally slammed into a new 2-year contract. Let it suffice to say that I eventually won, but only after becoming an expert in the terms of their contracts and threatening to sue them. The bottom line is that I despise dealing with them, because you have to become an expert in every aspect of the product you are purchasing to avoid getting screwed.

Saturday night, partially primarily on the advice of some of you, I bought a Motorola Razr v3c from the Verizon store in Timonium. I dealt with an employee named Chris. I don't know if he was a manager, but I can say that he was quite the douchebag. In short, he acted like he was doing me a favor by taking my money and grew irritated when I asked to see the contract terms and shot down his lame upselling attempts. To Chris' s chagrin, I managed to avoid most of Verizon's attempts to pad the bill with extra "services." One thing that really burns my ass is that Verizon disables the phone's Bluetooth and USB file transfer capabilities to force customers to pay either $0.25/picture download or a $10/month unlimited text/picture messaging fee. The other thing is a 3' flame. While the latter the can be considered a necessary evil, I found the former to be entirely unacceptable. So, on Sunday I spent 4 hours figuring out how to re-enable the USB/Bluetooth file transfer capabilities of the phone.

I also bought an accessory pack which consisted of a belt clip, vehicle charger, and a Jabra Bluetooth headset. I was surprised at the lack of public acceptance that these headsets have received. I can't say that I really understand this, since this technology has been around for awhile and allows a cell phone to be used more unobtrusively than ever. Nevertheless, every time I used the headset to communicate in public, people either gave me dirty looks or made snide comments. I guess some people just don't recognize hipness when they see it:





15 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Watch out for colon cancer, dude.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Broadsheet said...

I have Cingular and actually love them. I was talking to Zenchick and Ghurka Tom from the boundaries of the Red Rock National Park and Bureau of Land Management Wilderness areas, and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon without any trouble (didn't have cell in the Navajo Nation however). Bluetooth, no extra fees for images, one package for text and media, etc. They rock.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cingular shall always be tainted by the knowledge that it was once Cellular One, which was teh sucK back in the day. I have never had a call dropped by Verizon, but I will be the first to agree that their service sucks.

As for your Bluetooth functionality, if memory serves the RAZR has a USB port. If you do some Googling, you should be able to hack your RAZR to enable some of the BT functionality, specifically the ability to do file transfers with a bluetooth enabled device--like a computer. I was able to do it for my e815. ;-)

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger doggerelblogger said...

And how is it that you didn't take my advice?

Rotary - all the way, baby!

Cute about Malnurtured Snay, huh?

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Kira said...

i bet they will fall like enron someday.
and you get 50 lashes with a wet noodle for using a headset.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Wait - I'm cute?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Mighty Dyckerson said...

Wow, the cell phone seems to have miraculously mended the hole in your pants!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Cham said...

I know Chris at the Timonium Verizon store, your assessment of him is correct. What an ass.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger tfg said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger tfg said...

shamus-I'll look into lead lined boxers.

broadsheet-Last time I checked, Cingular wasn't so hot in corn country. If it wasn't for that, I'd be with them in a minute.

jjt-I already hacked it and turned the USB/BT file transfers on. What I'm looking for now is the audio gain table, to increase the speaker the volume. Verizon Razrs are configured diffently then Cingular or Alltel, so I haven't been able to find that file, yet.

db-Yeah, but it went straight to his head.

kira-I don't actually use the headset. It came free w/ the accessory pack.

snay-Thanks, that Buns of Pudding video has been paying dividends.

hink-I hear you. Verizon is the worst of the worst, by my estimate.

dyck-Not only did it fix the hole in my pants, but it also fused a crack that was back there, too.

Cham-Yes, arrogance and incompetence is a piss-poor combination, in any industry.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all fukc you when they have the chance.

Just after GSM technology came out my wife and I got a family plan at cingular. Any time between 4-7pm it took at least 10 tries to make a phone call go through. When I called to complain I was told that I could not talk to a manager that they had to take my number and have one call me. 4 tries later no one called me back, ever. When I eventually complained enough they gave me a number to call. IT WAS THE NUMBER TO DONATE LAND TO CINGULAR TO PUT UP A TOWER. My head nearly exploded.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger 0000 said...

Now you're going to get butt cancer from the Bluetooth radiation.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger 0000 said...

By the way, I once reviewed a coverletter on a resume someone sent in to my former job wherein the applicant acctually used the phrase "piss-poor" three times.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger tfg said...

So idle, did I get the job?

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Charles said...

So that is why I wasn't able to use the bluetooth on my brothers phone. That Sucks! So did you figure out how to get them working again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home